Fitness

How to Run Your First 5km

8:51 PM

Today I want to share with you my tricks for running your first 5km (3.2 miles).  Whether it is a race or a casual jog around your neighborhood, running 5km is a big accomplishment.  Now I am no professional trainer, or anything fancy like that, but I recently got into running so I do know a couple tips that really pay off in the end.

START SMALL
If you never really have ran before do not assume you can run 5km on your first try.  It usually doesn’t work like that ;).  Trust me, this was me when I started to run and my ego totally had a reality check in my first minute of a light jog.  

When I first started out the farthest I could run was 400m without stopping.  It’s not that I was out of shape (because I was very much IN SHAPE), I just didn’t have any endurance to keep me going.  Now, after 4 months of intense training (in the summer I would run once or twice everyday) I can run a well-paced 5km without stopping.

What I would suggest on your first run is make your goal 1km.  If you can easily do 1km without stopping, pick up your pace and if you can’t do it, keeping trying until you can and then go from there.

LISTEN TO SOME GOOD TUNES
It is very hard to enjoy running if you don’t jam out to your fav songs (aka High School Musical, Frozen and Hannah Montana) while running.  I like to use Spotify to put my favorite upbeat songs together on a playlist.  I find this motivates me to keep going because I want to run until my all time favorite song comes on (I Gotta Go My Own Way- Gabriella Montez)

TRY OUT A RUNNING PROGRAM
I really found following the Nike running program extremely helpful when I was just starting out.  It motivated me to run on a daily basis and establish a ‘running schedule’.  The Nike app is also VERY good at count how far you run, your pace, route and time.

-
-
-
For me personally, I like to compare my times to times to other people to see what the ‘average’ time is.  Honestly their really isn’t a ‘average’ time but sometimes it’s nice to see if you beat the ‘average’ that the computer says.  These are my averages.

NEW RUNNERS:
1km- 7mins
5km- 40mins

MY TIMES:
1km- 4mins 30secs
5km- 25mins

*Now please keep in mind that I have been running for a couple of months so do not feel as though you should be running at this pace*
-
-
I hope that you all feel inspired to give running a go! (but make sure to stretch properly before hand;)
Happy Training!

Love,

Em

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Photography

My Photography

Popular Posts